Sunday, February 15, 2009

Subacute Thyroiditis

A month ago my (awesome) OB/GYN doc screened me for thyroid problems due to my weight loss and found that I am hyperthyroid. Since then, I've developed more symptoms and recognized other symptoms that I already had including a sore neck, irritability, fatigue, hot flashes, rapid heartbeat, and serious serious insomnia. I've been going through tons of testing to help figure out how serious this is and whether or not I have the most common cause of hyperthyroid- an autoimmune illness called Graves Disease. So not only have I been feeling really crummy physically, but I've been very worried about possibly having a lifelong illness requiring pretty scary radioactive treatment.

The absolutely WONDERFUL news I got this week following some tests called "radioactive iodine uptake scans" is that I have thyroiditis rather than Graves disease. My endocrinologist said it could be post-partum caused or by a virus but either way it will eventually go away on its own. So now we're just trying to treat the symptoms and help me function better, and will keep checking my bloodwork to see when my thyroid starts to function better. Paul and I are both so relieved to get the good news that I am not condemned to a life of this problem!

1 comment:

  1. Desiccated porcine capsule supplements can do miracles for hypothyroidism. In cases like this, one must consult a physician before taking any medication. It will help you get the right dosage for your body.

    ReplyDelete