Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Potty what?

So it seemed miss Isabelle just decided one day that she had potty-trained herself. I'm still in shock. We are now in our 2nd week of panties-only (other than for sleep) and have yet to have an accident. As with all transitions, I am so proud of her for figuring out when she was ready and for tackling all the learning required with such enthusiasm, but a tiny piece of me is sad too for how grown up she's become.

We had been using a very laid back approach to potty training for several months, with positive encouragement, but no pressure or bribery. She ended up developing a routine of going potty before bed, and then we added before nap too. She was progressing slow and steady (but never giving us advance notice- if she went on the potty it was because we put her on it at the right time). Then she suddenly became more resistant and negative, so we faced the decision- pull back or step it up. We bravely started using panties at home for an hour each day. She had a few accidents as part of the learning (seriously so few I'm embarrassed we went out and bought a steam-cleaner in preparation for loads of accidents over months), and wore a pull-up for all our outings.

Then after a week or two of part-time panties, she suddenly told me "Mommy I have to go potty" WHILE wearing a pull-up! I can't tell you how shocked I was. That day she told me she had to 6 times and went every time. It was crazy like something literally clicked in one day and she got it. She now views it as a big adventure to find try out bathrooms everywhere we go, while I try to conceal my reactions to her grabbing onto yucky toilet seats etc. :)

Anyone looking for the best potty-training book (and speaker) I've found, I highly recommend: Jan Faull's book " Mommy I have to go potty."

No comments:

Post a Comment